Thursday, April 12, 2012

Employed!

So I made a Banana-Rum Cake with Browned Butter Frosting for my mom's birthday. But. You're all just going to have to wait for that post because today I'm going to talk about my new job!

I guess the title of this post isn't entirely accurate. I've been employed at the Campus Theatre, but I only got to work a few hours a week. I LOVE the Campus, and I've been there about 7 months now (wow...), but I've really been looking for something full time. Well, I finally heard back from Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, and I start on the tech team in June! I'll be doing install/maintenance/tear-down for the Illumi-nights, Howl-o-Scream, and Christmas Town events. Illumi-nights is the back half of the season, when they light the park all up, and have fireworks every night. Obviously, Howl-o-Scream is the Halloween season, and Christmas Town is Christmastime. I'll be working on lighting and props, getting everything installed and pretty, keeping everything working and making adjustments, then tearing everything down and doing it again for the next event.

My contract will go through December, and there's an option to stay on for a strike crew in January. Then I'll re-interview in January for the 2013 season. So if all goes well and I'm not horrible at my job, I'll probably just have February off and start again in March to get the park ready to open. I've been researching apartments, and I have some appointments set up to go see a few places this weekend. Williamsburg is an expensive area, so my top two choices are in Newport News, right next door. Well... my top choice is in Williamsburg, but they don't have any openings. Newport News is only about a fifteen/twenty minute drive, though, and it seems like a great place, and maybe a little cheaper to live in.

Between Williamsburg and Newport News, they have every restaurant and store that you could ever have any desire to go to. Plus, Colonial Williamsburg is right there. Yorktown and Jamestown aren't far. Virginia Beach is an hour away, and the Outer Banks are about two hours. I'll be working at an amusement park. I mean, come on. I think I'm more excited about moving to Virginia than I would be about moving to New York City!

I'm mostly just happy to be able to use all of my stuff again! My big comfy bed, my new Keurig, my new pots and pans, my TVs, pretty much all of my kitchen stuff.... I'll be close enough that people can come visit if they want, or if I happen to have a weekend off, I could come home. It's really just the perfect location for me.

So hopefully I'll get an apartment squared away this weekend so I can move in mid-May. That way I can get settled, do my orientation at the park, and still get some beach time in before I start on June 4th! So excited! There may be a post about my apartment-hunting expedition. If not, there will certainly be a post when I move in to a place. And in the more immediate future, there will be a post about Banana-Rum Cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To leave a comment without using one of the listed accounts, use the "Name/URL" option. You can leave the URL (website) blank, but fill in your name!