Tuesday, January 1, 2013
It's 2013! I hope everyone was able to celebrate last night. I was scheduled to work until midnight, but we got out early, so I got to ring in the New Year with some great friends and free champagne!
2012 was a lot of ups and downs...
I got a new job in an area I love, but that meant moving away from my friends and family in PA.
My dad was diagnosed with esophageal cancer, but was the model patient for his esophagectomy and everything seemed to be working out. Then there were a few cells that all of the chemo and radiation missed, and we lost him in June.
I've made some great friends and have learned a ton while working at BG, but I've come to realize that this isn't the long-term career that I'm looking for.
I think all-in-all, I'm going to have to hope that 2013 turns out to be a better year than 2012. A little less emotional turmoil, maybe?
I don't even want to talk about resolutions. I'm not making any concrete ones this year. I'm just going to say that I want to try to be a better, happier, healthier me. My resolutions from last year were these:
1) Get in shape. Yeah, yeah. Shut up. At this point, it's about not having a heart attack before I'm 30. I have a new workout routine mapped out. Let's see how long I stick to it.
2) Become more socially active/active in the community. I joined the community band this past year, but I really don't have anywhere to go or anyone to see. I need to crawl out of my cave once in awhile.
3) Travel more. There's so much to see and do that wouldn't even cost anything. I just need to get in my car and go. If I want to see the world, I have to leave my house.
4) Read more. I said this last year, too. I get on kicks where I read constantly, but then I go days or even weeks without cracking a book.
5) I'm not sure how to word this one, but I need to purge my life. I guess "live less materially" or "live more simply". Basically, I need to get rid of a lot of crap.
1 - I'm down 20 pounds since moving to VA, but that's mostly because of how active my job is. I'm leading as unhealthy a lifestyle as ever. I joined a gym and I've been a few times, but I have to make it a regular thing. Also, lay off the fast food.
2 - I'm totally more socially active. I go out with friends at least once a week, usually even more often.
3 - I mean... I'm living in a new state, so it's like I'm constantly traveling, right?! Maybe not. I would still like to get out and see more things in the area. Maybe I'll make a list of things to see around here. Maybe it'll be a blog post. We'll see. There is also discussion of going to stay with a friend in Florida for a couple of days when I'm off in February. I'll have to see what my money situation is like, but it's looking like a good possibility!
4 - Yeah, I haven't really been reading much. I did get a few books for Christmas that I'm excited about, though, and I've started one of them. I also still have my list of 100 Books Everyone Should Read, that I'm working through. I just haven't really made much progress on it lately....
5 - I would like to say that I've purged my life a bit. When I moved, I cleaned out a lot of stuff and donated a lot to the thrift stores. I definitely have a ton more that I could/should get rid of. I just like pretty things. What can I say?
So, yeah, this year, there's no list of resolutions. I just want to become a better me. That's going to be my motto for this year. I have a ton of books, the means to travel some, an active gym membership and I got a juicer for Christmas. I have the tools to change for the better, I just have to work up the motivation and willpower.
Bring it on, 2013!