Sunday, June 5, 2011

OBX Part 2

So I guess I should complete my tale of beachosity. When last we met, I told the tale of my horror on the beach. Well the rest of the week was much less traumatizing, I promise. The day after my adventure was fairly uneventful. Marcy and I went to the beach for a few hours, and that night I made lasagna and homemade garlic bread, which turned out pretty awesome.

Thursday was another beach day for Marcy, Vern, TJ, and me. The water was cold, but not unbearable, and it was sunny and perfect beach weather. The problem was laying on the beach. For some reason, a million little biting flies decided to descend. I went back to the house and got bug spray, but it didn't help, so we ended up laying by the pool instead. That night was our night to go to Barefoot Bernie's - a yearly tradition. I spent and ate way too much, as usual. The food is always amazing, though. I usually get the macadamia-crusted mahi mahi, but this year I tried the Jamaican jerk pork. It was great! For an appetizer I got about 50 lbs. of calamari, and for dessert I had an Irish coffee. I even bought a souvenir shotglass. LOVE Barefoot Bernie's. After Bernie's, we went mini-golfing, and Naomi, Vern and Barb went go-karting. When we got home, we had a drunken pool party until almost dawn.

Friday brought the last full day of the trip. I was kind of beached out, but didn't want to waste the day, so Barb and I went on an adventure to find the Bodie Island Lighthouse. We got there just as the visitor's center was closing, but we got to go in for a few minutes, and the grounds stayed open, so we got to get closer to the lighthouse, and go out the boardwalk to the sound.





After our lighthouse adventure, we continued on to Pea Island, pretty much just because we'd never been there. It's pretty desolate, and we found this amazing almost deserted beach. The tide had just gone out, so there were shells and rocks everywhere. We had to climb over a dune to get to it, and there were only maybe 3 other people there. It was gorgeous, and we hung out for a bit and admired the awesomeness.



After that, we headed home for cookout night - burgers and hot dogs on the grill. The problem was we never bought charcoal. Oops. We had burgers and dogs on the stove instead, and they were still pretty delicious. The next morning was time to clear out by 10AM. Well, when we got up, Vern and TJ had already left, so that left Barb, Naomi, Marcy, and me to clean the house and figure out what to do with a fridge full of food. We ended up throwing most of the cold stuff away, along with a million bottles of beer that Brian had left. As I was taking a bag of recycling out, it ripped and the kitchen ended up covered in beer. We got that cleaned up, everything else straightened out, and the cars packed. We ended up leaving around 10:30AM, but the cleaning crew didn't show up before that, so we were ok.

All-in-all, it was another amazing week in the Outer Banks. If there were a bigger theatre scene, or I had the guts to start my bookstore, I would move there in a heartbeat. I can't wait to go back next year (or sooner)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To leave a comment without using one of the listed accounts, use the "Name/URL" option. You can leave the URL (website) blank, but fill in your name!